Consumers and Community
The Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program is dedicated to providing the best care to people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA). This website has resources to help health care professionals deliver high quality care. For you, the consumer, the Ryan White program relies on your involvement in planning councils, advisory boards, and peer programs. The consumer perspective helps to keep this program on the right track.
But the most important role for you is to take care of your health. This means keeping appointments, taking medications, and asking for help and support from friends, family, and professionals like physicians, nurses, case managers and counselors.
Getting in care, staying in care
- Consumers should work with their trusted HIV/AIDS care team to learn about health insurance coverage options under the Affordable Care Act. Learn more about health care reform and enrollment in health coverage options.
Topics for consumers
- Patient Education Materials - links to basic information about HIV treatments and related conditions.
- Consumer Advisory Boards - how to set up and improve a consumer advisory board.
- Peer Programs - train patients and community members to support other patients.
- Consumer Involvement - information on ways for consumers to engage in Ryan White planning and in care teams.
- Quality Management - HRSA's standards and tools and resources to measure and improve performance.
Guidelines and Manuals
U.S. Department of Health and Human ServicesMarch 2017
Federal guidelines for treatment, prevention and care of HIV disease and opportunistic infections.
HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)April 2014
This manual was developed to provide clinicians with ready access to practical, current, treatment information so that they may provide quality care to people living with HIV.
Tools and Job Aids
HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)January 2011Methods that involve persons living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) to help link other PLWHA into primary medical care and other needed services.
HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)August 2009
Building Blocks is a training compendium for agencies seeking to develop programs that utilize peers to help engage and retain other people living with HIV/AIDS in care.
HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)January 2005
Materials to help programs develop strategies to employ Ryan White consumers/people living with HIV/AIDS.
HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)October 2015This project traces the history of the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, the largest federal program focused on HIV/AIDS care, featuring a timeline, the legislation, video and audio insights and more.
U.S. Department of Health and Human ServicesAugust 2014
AIDSinfo is the official home to all U.S. HIV-related treatment guidelines. The site also includes a HIV/AIDS health topics database and fact sheets on FDA-approved and investigational HIV/AIDS-related drugs, educational materials for consumers and providers, and a clinical trials database.