Case managers are critical members of a Ryan White care team. They help patients navigate the health care and social services systems, and they help clinicians coordinate and implement care plans. Medical case managers provide essential education and follow-up to make sure that patients understand the importance of adherence to treatment and keeping both routine and specialty appointments.
Topics for case managers
- Case Management - best practices and creative approaches for case management and support services.
- Medical Services - case managers play an important role in identifying and addressing many common medical concerns including adherence problems, substance abuse, and mental illness.
- HIV Care Continuum - tools for assessing and improving patient engagement.
- Consumers / Patients - tools for patient education, models and best practices for peer programs, advisory boards, and consumer involvement initiatives.
- HIV Counseling and Testing - guidelines, tools, and resources for special situations.
- Populations - these resources address cultural competency, as well as challenging situations such as incarceration, homelessness, and rural settings. Approaches and considerations for serving special populations such as adolescents, women, transgender, and MSM communities are also documented.
Guidelines and Manuals
HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)September 2017
Performance measures to help Ryan White HIV/AIDS programs monitor and improve the quality of care they deliver.
U.S. Department of Health and Human ServicesMarch 2017
Federal guidelines for treatment, prevention and care of HIV disease and opportunistic infections.
Tools and Job Aids
HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB), NASTADAugust 2016
The Common Patient Assistance Program (PAP) Application can be used to apply for any pharmaceutical assistance program (PAP) offered by pharmaceutical companies.
Reports and Best Practices
HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)January 2006
Workbooks describing ways to help connect people living with HIV/AIDS to medical care. Estos cuadernos describen la manera de asistir a conectar personas que viven con VIH/SIDA con el sistema médico.
HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB)October 2015This project traces the history of the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program, the largest federal program focused on HIV/AIDS care, featuring a timeline, the legislation, video and audio insights and more.